Most of us are familiar with the idea of Botox injections smoothing fine lines and wrinkles and giving skin a more youthful appearance, but not everyone knows that there are added benefits beyond cosmetic improvements. This filler can have far-reaching medical impacts all over the body, not just at the site of the injection.
Medical Benefits of Botox injections
In the United States, there are almost 50 million Botulinum Toxin Type A injections administered each year. The toxin has a number of properties that make it an effective tool in fighting pain and controlling muscle spasm and irregularities.
Many people are seeking help from Botox injections for some of the following issues:
- Migraines- a recurring migraine headache is more than just an annoyance; it can be extremely debilitating, robbing those who suffer from them of their quality of life, and forcing them to miss work and remain in bed. While there are drug treatments for migraines, not all of them are effective. But over 50% of those who suffer from migraines have reported a 50% reduction in the number of their headaches, and many more have said that the Botox injection helps with the severity of the pain.
- Muscle spasms- Upper Limb Spasticity (ULS) affects many adults and causes the muscles in the extremities to clench and refuse to relax. The Botox injection allows the joints surrounding the muscles some relief, as it sends messages to the tight muscles to relax.
- Chronic neck and back pain- patients who suffer from neck and back pain often do so because of muscle tension and overcompensation for injuries. Those who suffer from cervical dystonia have neck muscles that remain in spasm, making movement of any kind very difficult and painful. People with back pain often have a similar problem with muscles spasming and refusing to relax. The Botox injections can alleviate the pain in both cases by helping ease the muscles into a more relaxed state
- Overactive Bladder Syndrome- patients who suffer from incontinence or have to deal with the problem of frequent urination have found relief in Botox injections for the bladder. The Botox solution cuts down on the frequency of urges to eliminate, as well as severely reducing incontinence episodes.
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)- if a normal antiperspirant is failing to control your sweat, this can be an embarrassing situation. Botox injections can stop the glands from producing an excess of sweat and in turn can help control the problem of body odor.
There are numerous other cases where Botox can provide relief, including problems with eye spasms, involuntary blinking and strabismus (improper eye alignment) and can even help with cases of severe acne.
While it is true that many simply seek the anti-aging and beauty benefits when getting a Botox injection, people are increasingly turning to the injections for other medical reasons.
To learn more about the many benefits of Botox, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.